In the interest of full disclosure, Monkey Miles earns compensation through affiliate links and referrals. You do not have to use them, but we greatly appreciate your readership and support. We do our best to provide you with the best deals on credit cards, but we do not provide information on all cards in the marketplace. Opinions expressed are our own and do not reflect those of any entity being reviewed and have not been approved or otherwise endorsed by those entities. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Please read my disclosure policy for further details.
Update: Applied for the Reserve at 6/24…
NO DICE! This is what I expected, but I didn’t really see what I had to lose. I was hoping that my dreaded 7-10 day wait was going to warrant a message saying they needed to verify information, but nah – rejection. If anyone else is in the same boat – best of luck to you!
Applied for the Reserve at 6/24…
The 100k Reserve in-branch offer is ending on 3/12. There is conflicting information as to whether you need to apply before 3/12 or if applications submitted on 3/12 will work. I didn’t want to risk it, and am currently at 6/24, so when I read that Point me to the Plane was approved in-branch at 6/24 I bit and applied that same day. AHHHHHHH! I was not as lucky as he, and had no pre-approvals when I asked the bank rep in-branch. Pre-approvals are all over the place it seems. Some reports say that the system uses the same pre-qualify algorithm consumers encounter online when prompted vs. a different algorithm if you’re opening an account and the rep informs you of pre-approved offers.
But then Point me to the Plane was targeted for other cards and the Reserve was highlighted in green when he asked about pre-approvals…
Either way, I wasn’t going to open an account and it didn’t hurt to ask, and the response was what I had assumed: no offers. So I just applied for the Reserve at 6/24 without any targeting, pre-quals, pre-approvals, nothing. This isn’t my first Reserve Rodeo either… I applied back in August at 9/24 and was swiftly denied for having opened too many cards. MEH. This time I didn’t reach out to recon. Instead, I called the application status number ( 1-888-338-2586) and got the dreaded 7-10 days. Anecdotally a 30 day notification is positive and 7-10 is a denial. Not looking good.
To call or not to call reconsideration?
I’ve never not called. Yes, that’s a double negative, but these double negatives have always been positive….oh wait, aside from the last time I applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve and was shot down. I actually called recon twice. Once with the rep in-branch, and again after I got my denial letter.
This time is different?
I’m still over 5/24, but much closer at 6/24 than I was last August. The buzz has also slowed considerably. I doubt this actually matters, but somehow other people have been approved over 5/24. You can read experiences on reddit.
What do I really have to lose? A pull? That will only drop my credit score a handful of points, and I’m only going to have this one last shot at 100k. I’ll fall under 5/24 in June and hopefully snag a Biz Preferred at the 80k offer. Either way, I apply for the 100k now and get it, or I don’t. Worst case is I tried.
I’m thinking I’ll wait this one out. If you’ve applied and been rejected or waiting a decision and want to call reconsideration, here’s the number: