We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Monkey Miles is also a Senior Advisor to Bilt Rewards Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Flash promo on the Southwest Companion Pass
How cool is this?! Southwest is running a flash promo on their much desired Southwest Companion Pass until September 8th, 2022. Basically if you purchase one roundtrip ticket or two one way flights by September 8th, you’ll get a temporary Southwest Companion Pass from January 4th until March 4th, 2023. If you’re unfamiliar with the Southwest I spell it out in greater detail below, but it allows two people to fly for the price of one + taxes and ordinarily requires earning 125k Rapid Rewards in a year. H/T OMAAT
- Must book 1 roundtrip or two 1-ways by 9/8/2022
- Gotta travel by 11/17/2022
- Companion Pass is valid from 1/4/23 to 3/4/23
- Qualifying flights include flights paid entirely with dollars, LUV Vouchers, gift cards or travel funds,
- Cannot use Rapid Rewards points to purchase fare
- Charter flights, group travel and Southwest Vacations® packages do not qualify for this promotion
What is the Southwest Companion Pass?
It’s really pretty simple, and as I mentioned one of the topics I’m asked about most. Every single time you fly, whether you used cash or points to book your Southwest ticket, your companion flies with you free. This requires earning 125k Qualifying Rapid Rewards points in a year in order to qualify.
- You still have to pay the companion taxes and fees
- You have to select the companion that will fly free with you while your companion pass is valid
- You can change who this is 3x in the year
- This is based on calendar year so you could change it 3x this year, and then again 3x in 2022
- You can make changes by calling this number 1-800-435-9792
- You can change who this is 3x in the year
- Member must register for this promotion, purchase one round trip or two one-way flights between September 6 and September 8, 2022 for travel that must be completed between September 6 and November 17, 2022.
- Registration must be completed prior to booking and commencement of travel.
- A qualifying flight is a one-way revenue flight on Southwest Airlines® from an origin city to a destination city, including any intermediate stops and/or connections OR a round trip revenue flight on Southwest Airlines from an origin city to a destination city and back to the originating airport or carrier-recognized co-terminal. Qualifying flights include flights paid entirely with dollars, LUV Vouchers, gift cards or travel funds, and with no portion of the purchase price paid for with Rapid Rewards points. Charter flights, group travel and Southwest Vacations® packages do not qualify for this promotion.
- This includes domestic and international revenue flights booked in any fare family (Wanna Get Away®, Wanna Get Away Plus™, Anytime, or Business Select®).
- The Member’s Rapid Rewards account number must be entered at the time of booking the Member’s qualifying flight.
- Changes made to the itinerary after purchase may eliminate qualification for promotion.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great starter card that earns Premium Ultimate Rewards that can be transferred into over a dozen partners many of which are US based.
60k Points after $4k spend in 3 months
80k offer in branch currently – I think this should be online soon
Transferrable Chase Ultimate Rewards
Super solid welcome offer.
If you carry this card alongside Chase’s cashback cards like the Chase Freedom Flex℠and Chase Freedom Unlimited® or the business versions: Ink Business Cash , Ink Business Unlimited you can combine the points into Preferred account and transfer into hotel and airline partners
Annual fee is quite low at $95 a year + you get a 10% anniversary bonus on points + $50 hotel credit in Chase travel.
- 3x on dining
- including eligible delivery services for takeout
- 3x on select streaming services
- 3x on online grocery purchases
- (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
- 5x on all travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards – Chase Travel Portal
- $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards/Chase Travel
- The begins immediately for new cardmembers and after your account anniversary for existing cardmembers
- 10% Anniversary Bonus
- Every year you keep the card, your total spend will yield a 10% points bonus. If you spend $10k in a year, you’ll get 1k bonus points
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® continues to redeem at 1.25c in the Chase Travel Portal and the slew of other benefits remain in tact including primary rental car insurance, purchase protections, etc.
- Points are transferrable to 13 Ultimate Rewards partners
- Redeem in the Chase Travel center for 1.25 cents per point
- No foreign transaction fees
- Suite of Travel and Purchase Coverage
- Primary rental car coverage is my favorite
There is currently an 80k offer after $4k spend in 3 months available in branch, and up to 90k after $6k spend in 6 months. I suspect some version of this will be online soon if you don’t want the hassle of going into a branch.
We keep an up to date spreadsheet that lists the best ever offers: You can find that spreadsheet here.
Historically 60k is a very, very good offer. In 2021, we saw the offer hit an all time high of 100k. Who knows if that will ever come back. .
Cards that earn flexible points and should be used on the bulk of your purchases.
Cards that earn fixed points in the currency of the airline/hotel and can not be transferred at attractive rates. These cards yield benefits that make it worth keeping, but not necessarily worth putting a lot of your everyday spend on.