We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com and CardRatings. This relationship may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Monkey Miles is also a Senior Advisor to Bilt Rewards. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
Information about this card has been collected independently by Monkey Miles. Card issuer is not responsible for the information or accuracy.
If you’re a reward geek, October 2018 was quite the big deal – it was certainly marked on our calendar with stars and stickers and unicorn stamps. Why? Amex released their newly rebranded American Express® Gold Card, and I’d say they hit every nail on its head. It earns 4x on restaurants, 4x on U.S. Supermarkets ( up to $25k/year, then 1x ) , and they’ve even improved it since.
You can read about all the details in this post, but if you’re in the market for a slam dunk of a card…this is it. In fact, American Express has not only published the highest referral offer at 60 to 90k Membership Rewards, but they also changed the minimum spend requirement from $4k in 3 months to $4k in 6 months.
Here’s how it works with our site and referrals:
When someone uses a referral link you’ll likely earn a referral bonus. Referrals are how I make upwards of 500k points a year, but it’s also how I can help you out. Since I’m constantly trying to use points on my travel for the site, I cycle through my referrals first, and usually very quickly I max out. I then work my friends and family through the site, and finally, I start adding your links that you leave below. I leave them up for a week and then cycle in another one.
You can also leave referrals for
- Amex Green
- Amex Aspire
- Amex Platinum
- Amex Biz Platinum
- Amex Everyday Preferred
- Amex Blue Business Plus
- Amex Biz Gold
*I would note that you get more action when the referral is correlated to the article.
If you’re interested:
Here’s a list of Amex Gold Benefits:
- Annual Fee is $250 *Rates and Fees; terms apply
- 4x points at restaurants
- 4x points at US supermarkets ( up to $25k a year )
- 3x points on flights purchased directly with the airline or Amex Travel
- up to $10 per month Uber Cash credit valid in US only (enrollment required)
- up to $120 Dining Credit at select restaurants (enrollment required)
- Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar and select Shake Shack locations.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- 1x everywhere else
- Access to The Hotel Collection
- *Rates and Fees; terms apply
What’s the best ever for Amex Gold?
There have been a wide range of offers, but 90k + $200 is the highest I’ve ever seen.
Targeted Authorized User bonuses started populating roughly 6 months into card-membership
If you were targeted like I was, this would potentially add on an additional 20k points simply by adding people to your account. Go here to read all the details – you are responsible for your authorized users and there are rules so read them carefully. Great thing is that you earn the points and the category bonus spend. If your mother or son dines out…you get the 4x points. BYAH!
Want the big bro to Amex Gold? Some are getting 150k referrals from Amex Platinum
What can 90k Amex points get you?
Yes you can fly on Emirates First Class with all the gold accents and flowing champagne your heart desires. Emirates prices these first class flights at 85k between the States and Europe. BYAH!
Another insane example? You can fly the new Singapore Suites from Singapore to Delhi for just 53k points.
Feel free to leave your own referrals if you’d like. FYI – periodically I’ll grab someone’s and stick it in the main links above which will earn you points pretty quickly.
History of the referral bonuses:
- 90k welcome offer + $200 March 2023
- 90k welcome offers are back in September
- 90k welcome offers in March 2022 with 20% back on worldwide restaurants, up to $250, in first 12 months of card membership given as a statement credit
- 75k welcome offers in July 2021
- 60k Welcome Offer populating again June 2021
- Up to 75k Welcome Offers March 2021
- 60k Offer debuts in August of 2020
- 50k offers populating consistently again ( 07/31/19)
- You can now get the Rose Gold version of the card again. 6/6/2019. Expired.
- Some are getting 50k offers again
- 50k up until January of 2019 when offer dropped to 40k
- January 2019 to 3/30/19 – 40k and then some starting to get 50k.
Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
60k Points after $4k spend in 3 months
In Chase branch: 70k Points after $4k spend in 3 months ( make appt with banker –Information about this card has been collected independently by Monkey Miles. Card issuer is not responsible for the information or accuracy.)
Transferrable Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3x on dining
- including eligible delivery services for takeout
- 3x on select streaming services
- 3x on online grocery purchases
- (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
- 5x on all travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards – Chase Travel Portal
- $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards/Chase Travel
- The begins immediately for new cardmembers and after your account anniversary for existing cardmembers
- 10% Anniversary Bonus
- Every year you keep the card, your total spend will yield a 10% points bonus. If you spend $10k in a year, you’ll get 1k bonus points
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® continues to redeem at 1.25c in the Chase Travel Portal and the slew of other benefits remain in tact including primary rental car insurance, purchase protections, etc.
- Points are transferrable to 13 Ultimate Rewards partners
- Redeem in the Chase Travel center for 1.25 cents per point
- No foreign transaction fees
- Suite of Travel and Purchase Coverage
- Primary rental car coverage is my favorite
We keep an up to date spreadsheet that lists the best ever offers: You can find that spreadsheet here.
Historically 80k is a very, very good offer and hit in both 2022 and 2023. In 2021, we saw the offer hit an all time high of 100k. Who knows if that will ever come back.
Cards that earn flexible points and should be used on the bulk of your purchases.
Cards that earn fixed points in the currency of the airline/hotel and can not be transferred at attractive rates. These cards yield benefits that make it worth keeping, but not necessarily worth putting a lot of your everyday spend on.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® is exceptional starter card and offers transferrable Ultimate Rewards, and pairs well with other Chase cards.
If you carry this card alongside Chase’s cashback cards like the Chase Freedom Flex℠and Chase Freedom Unlimited® or the business versions: Ink Business Cash® , Ink Business Unlimited® you can combine the points into Preferred account and transfer into hotel and airline partners
Annual fee is quite low at $95 a year + you get a 10% anniversary bonus on points + $50 hotel credit in Chase travel.