We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
Life is truly amazing. I was just going over some potential trip options with a friend, and one of the best ways to exact the trip she wanted, was utilizing starpoints. The problem…she was short and they weren’t on sale. I’d said to her that they very well could go back on sale, and if so, it would dramatically drop the price of her trip, but who knows when or if that will happen. VOILA – the Universe has responded. SPG has put their points on sale once more, this time until July 20th – clocking in at $0.02275 a point when you buy the max 30k points.
The total amount you can purchase in a year is 30k points.
The “potential” work around.
If you and your partner share an address, you can technically move points between accounts that share the same address. However, since the maximum points that can be purchased in a calendar year is 30k, some people have run into problems when both accounts purchase 30k and try to consolidate into one account with 60k. I haven’t personally attempted to do this, so I can’t comment on it myself, but anecdotally it seems many are still able to execute the 60k, but some have not. Just a word of caution before you attempt.
Unlimited Starpoint transfers may occur if the following requirements are met:
- Both members live at the same address. (Starwood Vacation Network Owners (“Owners”) may transfer Starpoints between two designated Starwood Vacation Network Preferred Membership accounts, regardless of whether the accounts have the same residential address.)
- The recipient is not an employee of Starwood Hotels & Resorts.
- Neither member transferring to/from has a P.O. Box, APO, or SPO as their address.
- The addresses of both accounts must match for a minimum of 30 days prior to transfer.
- Both accounts must have been active for at least 30 days.
- Transfers must be done with a minimum of 1,000 Starpoints and in 1,000 Starpoint increments.
- Please allow up to 10 business days for the transfer to be completed or rejected.
Using Starpoints for airline redemptions
Remember for most transfer partners, 20k SPG points will convert into 25k airline miles. If you were able to combine two accounts into one, 30k purchases each – so 60k total, and then transferred those into an airline program like Asiana Club you’d wind up with 75k Airline miles. This is a great deal seeing as though you can fly from the US to Europe in Lufthansa First Class for just 50k miles. But watch out for added surcharges which can rack up fast.
If you just did one account and transferred the 30k, you’d end up with 35k – roughly 1.95 cents a point. Here’s a full list of transfer partners:
*featured image courtesy of SPG.com
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers
A Monkey Miles favorite for beginners and point pros alike because it earns very valuable points in both dining and travel. Enjoy an all time high sign up bonus as well!
♥ Earn 60k Bonus Points after $4k Spend in 3 months
♥2x on dining + travel worldwide without cap
♥Earns some of the most valuable points in the industry