We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
after just 3k spend. That’s the biggest ever for this card.
Yes you can get it if you’ve had the Amex Plat before
So per the terms above, you can get this card even if you’ve had a different American Express Platinum card, but excluded if you’ve ever had this specific product.
Product, you say?
If you aren’t familiar with the varying products definition: Credit card companies issue different types of cards even if they may carry similar looks and names. For instance, The American Express Platinum card, The American Express Platinum card for Mercedes Benz, Ameriprise American Express Platinum card, The American Express Business Platinum card, etc. All of these are technically different products, and therefore don’t count against your “Once in a lifetime” new member sign up bonus when applying for them individually. Of course, YMMV, but most people have not had problems receiving the bonus when applying for different products.
Why get this card?
If you own or lease a Mercedes there are some nice perks listed above:
- 5x purchases on Mercedes
- If you’re thinking of buying one. Ask to use this credit card. If they say no, tell the dealer you’ll pay the processing fee. On a $30,000 car you’ll pay several hundred bucks in processing fees but earn another 150,000 points. Totally worth it IMO. At just $0.02 you’re earning $3,000 back. Way more when redeemed for international air travel.
- $1000 certificate when you spend $5000
- 2000 overage miles waived on a lease
- $100 credit towards accessories
Honestly, none of those apply to me, and probably not for most people who I think would benefit from this card. But here’s a list of things that do:
- 75,000 bonus points = valued at just $0.02 per point that’s worth a $1500
- $200 annual airline fee reimbursement – in your first cardmember year, you’ll qualify twice for this – that’s $400
- Global Entry fee reimbursement – worth $100
- Priority Pass Select membership – worth ~ $400
- lounge access around the globe
- Delta Sky Club lounge access – when flying on Delta
- Centurion Lounge access – network expanding and very worthwhile
- Access to Fine Hotels and Resorts
- Amazing benefits such as free breakfast, resort credits, room upgrades, early check in, late check out, etc
- Over 20 transfer partners: like Singapore Air, Air Canada, Air France, British Airways
- SPG gold status
- Hilton Honors gold status
- Boingo free wi-fi at more than 1,000,000 hotspots around the globe
- The Hotel selection
- slightly different that Fine Hotels and Resorts, but provides great benefits, credits, and upgrades
- Return protection on goods a store won’t take back, you get reimbursement up to $1000/year $300/item
Seriously the list goes on and on – if you’re interested, check out the full list here
The biggest, by far, are the transfer partners.
The transfer partners are so crucial in making these points unbelievably valuable. Above, I had them valued at roughly $0.02. I tend to get value more in the 5-10 cent range. These values come from long haul international business/first class travel In fact, Amex points are how I flew last year from San Francisco to London on Virgin Atlantic by transferring to Delta, and how I got back from Japan on American Airlines First Class by shoring up my British Airways account when Amex had a 40% transfer bonus.
You can Fly in United Global First by transferring Amex to Aeroplan and redeeming for just 70,000 points
Or in Virgin Atlantic Upper Class by transferring to Delta for 62,500
And with Etihad being a partner now, you can even enjoy the new 787: in fact, there’s a 30% transfer bonus currently running:
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers
A Monkey Miles favorite for beginners and point pros alike – a staple of our wallet that earns Premium transferrable Ultimate Rewards. $95 annual fee
♥ Earn 80k Bonus Points after $4k Spend in 3 months + $50 grocery credit
♥Points are transferrable to over dozen partners, or redeemable for 1.25c in Chase travel
♥2x on travel
♥2x on dining
♥1x on all purchases