We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Monkey Miles is also a Senior Advisor to Bilt Rewards Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Match.com canceling memberships booked at 150x through the BA portal without request
ICYMI, Match and Eharmony had absolutely insane promotions over the weekend through the British Airways Avios portal. If you used the portal to start up a Match.com membership you could earn 150 Avios for every dollar you spent on a membership. Eharmony was 130 Avios for every dollar. SAY WHAT?!?! Yes, that happened. A lot of people earned around 82k Avios for about $550. Everything seemed great until OMAAT revealed that the bonuses were only processing on the basic membership, not all of the added features. UH OH! Well, things have gotten even shadier…Two friends that I sent the deal to have received the same exact email today. Match.com is refunding their membership and claiming that they canceled the membership. Except they didn’t. So is anyone else experiencing this: Match.com canceling memberships booked at 150x through the BA portal without request?
Here is the email they both received
I didn’t do the deal myself. Now I’m kinda glad
It just seemed too good to be true, even though it was very publicly advertised, and a lot of people took advantage of the deal, I just didn’t pull the trigger. After the post that OMAAT put up notifying readers that the full amount wasn’t posting I kind of let out a sigh of relief that I hadn’t done the deal, but felt bad for sending it to so many friends. I forwarded them his post so they could get prepared to potentially fight the good fight and get their due points. NOW, with their memberships just being canceled it looks like it’s going to be much more of a battle than I’d even suspected after OMAAT’s post. Neither of my friends are going to cause much issue with the cancelation, nor are they really that bothered by it. To them…it’s just not worth all of the effort.
Any of you experience the same result?
Affiliate link via Card Ratings
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great starter card that earns Premium Ultimate Rewards that can be transferred into over a dozen partners many of which are US based.
60k Points after $4k spend in 3 months
Transferrable Chase Ultimate Rewards
If you carry this card alongside Chase’s cashback cards like the Chase Freedom Flex℠and Chase Freedom Unlimited® or the business versions: Ink Business Cash , Ink Business Unlimited you can combine the points into Preferred account and transfer into hotel and airline partners
Annual fee is quite low at $95 a year + you get a 10% anniversary bonus on points + $50 hotel credit in Chase travel.
- 3x on dining
- including eligible delivery services for takeout
- 3x on select streaming services
- 3x on online grocery purchases
- (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
- 5x on all travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards – Chase Travel Portal
- $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards/Chase Travel
- The begins immediately for new cardmembers and after your account anniversary for existing cardmembers
- 10% Anniversary Bonus
- Every year you keep the card, your total spend will yield a 10% points bonus. If you spend $10k in a year, you’ll get 1k bonus points
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® continues to redeem at 1.25c in the Chase Travel Portal and the slew of other benefits remain in tact including primary rental car insurance, purchase protections, etc.
- Points are transferrable to 13 Ultimate Rewards partners
- Redeem in the Chase Travel center for 1.25 cents per point
- No foreign transaction fees
- Suite of Travel and Purchase Coverage
- Primary rental car coverage is my favorite
We keep an up to date spreadsheet that lists the best ever offers: You can find that spreadsheet here.
Historically 80k is a very, very good offer and hit in both 2022 and 2023. In 2021, we saw the offer hit an all time high of 100k. Who knows if that will ever come back.
Cards that earn flexible points and should be used on the bulk of your purchases.
Cards that earn fixed points in the currency of the airline/hotel and can not be transferred at attractive rates. These cards yield benefits that make it worth keeping, but not necessarily worth putting a lot of your everyday spend on.