We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
MMMondayMemo: What is Global Entry?
Each Monday Miles has decided to drop a tip, hint, tutorial, trick that maybe you’ve missed or haven’t heard before. If you’re an expert in this field, some of these may be things you already know, but there are a lot of beginners out there who are just getting their feet wet. This week the Monkey Miles Monday Memo focuses on making immigration, customs, and security easier! MMMondayMemo: What is Global Entry?
Global Entry is something that those who are travel enthusiasts know all about, but I also talk to A LOT of people that have no idea what it is. It’s something that we highly recommend to anyone who is traveling abroad, and also those who travel domestically as it gives you TSA-PRE clearance as well. In short, it makes domestic security, immigration, and customs a WHOLE LOT shorter.
As defined by Wikipedia:
Global Entry is a program of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection service that allows pre-approved, low-risk travelers to receive expedited clearance upon arrival into the United States. As of December 2014, Global Entry was available at 42 US airports and 12 pre-clearance locations. More than 1.8 million people are enrolled in Global Entry and approximately 50,000 new applications for the program are filed monthly.
So how do you go about getting Global Entry?
First you must be eligible. The following information is provided by cbp.gov.
Lawful permanent residents and aliens from the following countries
- Citizens of Colombia
- Citizens of United Kingdom
- Citizens of Germany
- Citizens of the Netherlands
- Citizens of Panama
- Citizens of Singapore
- Citizens of South Korea
- Mexican nationals
You may be ineligible if you
- Provide false or incomplete information on the application;
- Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges or outstanding warrants (to include driving under the influence);
- Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;
- Are the subject of an ongoing investigation by any federal, state or local law enforcement agency;
- Are inadmissible to the United States under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation; or
- Cannot satisfy CBP of your low-risk status.
You’re eligible? Here’s what you do
Step 1: Create an account with GOES by going here. ( Global Online Enrollment System)
Step 2: Log in to your Account and fill out an application and pay the $100 fee
Step 3: Once you are approved, you will be asked to schedule an appointment
- Make sure to bring your passport and another form of ID to your appointment.
What’s the appointment like?
Nothing to it. They will take a digital pic of you and scan your fingerprints. Mine took about 5-10 minutes and the officer asked me various questions about my identity and wanted to make sure that
Miles I hadn’t committed any crimes, etc. It’s a quick and easy process that I HIGHLY recommend going through to make travel soooooo much faster.
How long does Global Entry Last?
What is the Immigration and Customs experience like with Global Entry?
First you use a kiosk where you scan your passport and fingerprints. I’ve never waited to use a kiosk and never waited more than a couple minutes to have my global entry ticket examined. Both your passport and fingerprints are linked to your Global Entry account.
Should I get TSA PRE as well?
You don’t need to do that because Global Entry gives you TSA PRE via your trusted traveller ID number. Simply input that number into your reservation and TSA PRE will be added to your reservation.
Many credit cards give a FULL $100 refund on your Global Entry fee
- Any American Express Platinum + additional card holders
- Citi Prestige
- Citi Aadvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
- Chase Sapphire Reserve
- Chase Ritz Carlton
- Gives a $300 travel credit and Global Entry Qualifies
- Citi Expedia + Voyager card
- Gives $100 travel credit and Global Entry Qualifies
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers
A Monkey Miles favorite for beginners and point pros alike because it earns unlimited 1.5x Ultimate Rewards with no annual fee. Enjoy 5x on groceries up to $12k a year + $200/20k welcome bonus!
♥ Earn 20k Bonus Points or $200 after $500 Spend in 3 months
♥1.5x on all purchases, unlimited
♥5x on grocery stores, up to $12k ( no Target/WalMart)