We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
New Barclay Aviator Red 40k Aadvantage offer after 1st purchase
We learned earlier in the year that American Airlines was going to keep partnerships with both Citi and Barclay, I called it a Menage a Credit. Barclay used to have a partnership with US Airways and those that held cards with them were converted to Barclay Aviator Reds after the Us Airways/AA merger. I was one of these people and figured I’d hold that card for a long time as it provided some sweet benefits ( my faves were 10% back on redemptions and reduced mileage awards) and it would be phased out. It was worth the annual fee. However, my thinking changed after they announced they would issue new cards. Now, we have a new Barclay Aviator 40k Aadvantage offer after 1st purchase. Let’s take a look.
The application is live…which I’m surprised about.
Initially it was reported that Barclay would only allow applications on flights and in airports. This was the contract they struck and then Citi would be online, etc. But this application is definitely live online…
40k after first purchase!
But there are some restrictions on getting awarded the bonus miles
- first time cardmembers with new accounts only
- Existing cardmembers, existing accounts, and previous accounts closed in the last 24 months aren’t eligible for the bonus
Some questions I have…
- I downgraded my Barclay Aviator Red to a Barclay Aviator. I’m technically not an existing Aviator Red nor did I close my account – so am I eligible? Or does this fall under existing accounts?
- They will roll out Barclay Aviator Silvers and Gary Leff commented on this today after his talk with a Barclay rep. If I have a Barclay Aviator/Aviator Red account, but have never had a Silver…am I eligible to sign up and get a bonus?
- They are also going to roll out Barclay business cards ( which I’d be most interested in as it wouldn’t go against 5/24), but if you have personal accounts that are existing…does that make me ineligible? I’ve never had a Barclay Aviator business…I feel like people in my situation should be eligible.
- Maybe I’m overlooking this…but I don’t see any mention of the American’s Reduced Mileage Awards for this card…Am I just overlooking this? That’s a sizeable depreciation if this new Red isn’t a member of that program. The current Barclay Aviator Red is mentioned on the American list of cards that qualify…but odd that there is no mention of this great benefit on the application.
It’ll be interesting to see data points on sign up bonuses and how this relates to “existing accounts.” I would hope that if you have never held a premium Aviator Silver or a business version of the card that you are at least eligible for those bonuses even if you’re held a Aviator or a Red. Time will tell.
Listed major bennies
Overall: It’s a solid offer ( after 1st purchase for 40k miles – BYAH!) but for those who like to get cards on cards on cards…it’s a wait and see.
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers
A Monkey Miles favorite for beginners and point pros alike because it earns 3-5x on select categories + Enjoy 5x on groceries up to $12k a year + $200/20k welcome bonus and no annual fee!
♥ Earn 20k Bonus Points or $200 after $500 Spend in 3 months
♥5x on travel booked with Chase Travel, 5x on rotating quarterly categories ( capped at $1500 per quarter )
♥5x on grocery stores, up to $12k ( no Target/WalMart) on your first 12 months of cardmembership
♥3x on all dining and qualifying delivery apps
♥0% interest on new purchases for 15 months