We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
This is part of the Around the World 2015 Mega Trip
- Etihad Business and First Class Lounge Washington DC
- Etihad Business Studio – IAD to AUH
- Review: Etihad Arrivals lounge and Etihad Chauffeur experience
- Grand Hyatt Dubai
- Hyatt Capital Gate Abu Dhabi
- Etihad Business and First Class Lounge Abu Dhabi, AUH
- Etihad Pearl Business Class – AUH to JNB
- Intercontinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
- Blue Train Johannesburg to Cape Town
- Queen Victoria Cape Town
- Chitwa Chitwa Sabi Sands Luxury Game Reserve Kruger National Park
- Royal Chundu Zambezi River Lodge – Victoria Falls
- Intercontinental Johannesburg Airport
- Review: S(h)ongololo Lounge JNB
- Cathay Pacific Business Class – JNB to HKG to HND
- Ritz Carlton Tokyo
- Japan Airlines First Class Lounge Tokyo, NRT
- American Air Flagship First Class – NRT to LAX
Review: S(h)ongololo Lounge JNB
Prior to boarding our Cathay Pacific flight from JNB to HKG we were invited into the S(h)ongololo Lounge which is right around the corner from the Cathay gates. The lounge was free to us because of our flight cabin ( business J ), but you can also buy 3 hours in it for R350 (~$26).
The lounge was CROWDED!
This wasn’t a complete surprise. Layovers can be quite long in Johannesburg and for $26, more people than not are going to fork over the coin to have a place to kick it for a few hours. It’s also small. Roughly the same size that Etihad had at IAD…and it services one airline and one flight a day! We had about 20 mins. Enough for a quick trip to the bathroom, a snack, and some pics. Miles is just so dang obsessed with getting pictures everywhere 😉
There are signs stating that all pre-packaged food was to be consumed in the lounge
There should be a bigger sign for the toilets and showers heh…heh…heh
Despite being overly crowded it was all in all it was a good lounge. Nothing spectacular like United’s at LHR, but it had hot and cold food, great looking pre-packaged sandwiches, open bar, and showers. Had we not been curious as to what it had to offer I doubt we would have even gone in. We had a big hold up at check-in and customs took forever. If you have free access to the lounge, then by all means go in and check it out…if you don’t and it’s just an hour or two between connections…I would skip it. There are plenty more dining options to check out in the terminal and when combined with duty free shops…more than enough stuff to keep you occupied.
Although…you might miss an opportunity to see Miles up on this wall in the future 😉
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers
A Monkey Miles favorite for small business owners who want triple points on valuable categories + free mobile phone insurance. Enjoy an all time high sign up bonus as well!
♥ Earn 80k Bonus Points after $5k Spend in 3 months
♥ 3x on travel, mobile phone, internet, cable, social media advertising, and shipping ( up to $150k )
♥ Earns some of the most valuable points in the industry