We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Monkey Miles is also a Senior Advisor to Bilt Rewards Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Earn 5x IHG Rewards+ more
IHG just dropped a massive Cyber Week promo where you can earn 5x points on stays completed by the end of the year when you book on November 29th or 30th. That 5x bonus is applied to the base earnings of 10 IHG Rewards points on every qualifying dollar they spend to equal 50x points… That’s some mega pointage!
In addition to that, they’re running a Points & Cash promo that opens the door to buying points for less than 1/2 a cent per point which is the cheapest I’ve ever seen….and there’s more.
Let’s unpack the deal. Here is a direct link to the Cyber Week promo where you can register
2 Days only IHG Rewards Members will receive 5x points
Here’s the deal:
Registered Members who book on November 29 or November 30, for qualified stays occurring through December 31, 2021, will receive 5X points on the base earn rate.
How does this work?
The 5x is a multiplier applied to the base rate you’d earn on stays whether you’re a base member or a top tier Spire Elite.
|IHG Status||Normal Earn Rate||With 5x Promo|
What are the requirements?
- You must be a Registered IHG Rewards Member – you can do so here
- Book on or before 11/30/21 at 11:59PM EST
- Stay must be completed by 12/31/21
- Qualified Stays – see terms and conditions
- Max you can earn is 70,000 points
- If already registered for 3x promo you’ll be automatically registered to earn 5x
- note does not combine to earn 8x
- 5x is figured off the base rate
I’m already registered for the 3x promo running…how does that work?
Great question and here’s the answer – essentially you’ll be automatically enrolled in this promo. The combined total you can earn is 70,000 IHG Rewards points
- A member who is already participating in the current 3X Promotion (with the 3X promotional period being September 15, 2021 through December 31, 2021) will be automatically registered for the 5X Promotion
- The 5X Promotion, in conjunction with the 3X Promotion, is subject to a promotional bonus points cap of 70,000 IHG Rewards points, which means that members participating in the 3X Promotion or the 5X Promotion or both will be able to earn up to a maximum combined total of 70,000 promotional bonus points from the 3X and 5X promotions
I have the IHG Rewards Premier – how many points would I earn?
I’m in the same boat with you and since we carry an IHG Rewards Premier we get IHG Rewards Platinum status as a benefit.
This means we normally earn 15x on stays, but if we take advantage of this promo, we would be earning 55x. If you value IHG points at $0.006 per point, you’re effectively earning in excess of 27% back on every dollar you spend. That is pretty fantastic.
25% Points & Cash promo
Here’s the deal:
Members will be able to enjoy a 25% discount on the Cash portion of Points & Cash bookings during a specific date range.
- Get 25% off the Cash portion of the Points&Cash rate
- Book between 11/29/21 and 12/6/21
- Stay between 12/27/2021 – 2/26/2022
Here’s what it looks like to book Points&Cash
How it can make sense
IHG allows a mix of Points&Cash to be used when booking. If you’re unfamiliar with this method, let’s take a look at the Staybridge Suites in Atlanta Midtown.
In the example above you could book with points in full and it would cost you 2300 points; however, you could also book with Points & Cash. The big thing to remember here is if you cancel you’ll get refunded in points.
This could present an opportunity to straight up buy points at competitive price – I had seen pricing lower than 1/2 a cent a point on a Kimpton Aertson Nashville booking, but I’m unable to repopulate that deal. Currently, the cheapest I’m finding it $0.0058 per point, which is less than the normal $.006 but more than the cheapest they’ve sold them during sale which is 1/2 a penny.
What does this mean? If you were to book the 13,000 + $58, and you cancel, you’ll get refunded 23,000 points and no cash. This means you’re effectively buying the points for $0.0058
Up to 15% Advance Saver
This is very straight forward, as long as you book at a qualifying property, you’ll get up to 15% the best flexible rate you see when booking. There are some terms and exclusions…
- Book between 11/26/21 and 12/16/21
- Stay completed by 2/28/21
- 15% off the best flexible rate
- excluding Argentina, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Venezuela
- Also excluding: The Venetian® Resort Las Vegas, Mr and Mrs Smith, Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas and IHG® Army Hotels
I think the 5x deal is incredible as is the 25% Points&Cash. Both of these promos open up incredible opportunities to not only earn points at a massive rate on a stay you perhaps were already going to make, but you could take advantage of the Points&Cash promo to buy a ton of points at their cheapest price ever to take a trip down the road.
Terms & Conditions
Advance Saver – excluding Argentina, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Venezuela:
*Cyber Sale is based off the Advanced Saver – IHG Rewards Member Rate and is valid on bookings made between November 26 – December 16, 2021. All bookings must be consumed by February 28, 2022 at participating IHG® hotels and resorts. The discount is up to 15% off the Best Flexible Rate when you book at least seven (7) days in advance. Based on property selection, deeper discounts may be available. Blackout dates apply and rooms are subject to availability. Certain room types may be excluded from the rate. Hotel policy varies in regard to the minimum length of stay required and number of guests allowed per room. Not applicable with other discounted rate promotions. Not applicable to group bookings. Hotel specific early departure fee applies. The Venetian® Resort Las Vegas, Mr and Mrs Smith, Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas and IHG® Army Hotels are excluded from the promotion.
Must cancel at least seven (7) days before your stay for direct bookings (e.g. IHG.com or IHG mobile app) and for bookings made with a travel agent or online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia). If you cancel past the window, you will be charged for the first night of the stay. Some hotels offer day-of cancellations for Best Flexible Rate bookings. Visit your hotel’s website for exact details.
Points & Cash 25% Off:
**IHG® Rewards members must be logged in to receive 25% savings. Must book by 12/6/2021. Stay dates include 12/27/2021 – 2/26/2022. 25% discount is offered at time of booking and only pertains to the cash portion of bookings using Points & Cash. This offer is subject to the general IHG® Rewards membership Terms and Conditions.
***You must be an IHG® Rewards member to participate in the “5X” promotion (“5X Promotion”). A member who is already participating in the current 3X Promotion (with the 3X promotional period being September 15, 2021 through December 31, 2021) will be automatically registered for the 5X Promotion. If a member has not yet registered for the current 3X Promotion and would like to participate in the 5X Promotion, they will need to register for either the 3X Promotion or for the 5X Promotion on or before November 30, 2021, 11:59 PM EST. The 5X Promotion, in conjunction with the 3X Promotion, is subject to a promotional bonus points cap of 70,000 IHG Rewards points, which means that members participating in the 3X Promotion or the 5X Promotion or both will be able to earn up to a maximum combined total of 70,000 promotional bonus points from the 3X and 5X promotions. For full terms & conditions of the 5X Promotion, please visit the 5X Promotion Terms and Conditions.
Affiliate link via Card Ratings
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great starter card that earns Premium Ultimate Rewards that can be transferred into over a dozen partners many of which are US based.
60k Points after $4k spend in 3 months
Transferrable Chase Ultimate Rewards
If you carry this card alongside Chase’s cashback cards like the Chase Freedom Flex℠and Chase Freedom Unlimited® or the business versions: Ink Business Cash , Ink Business Unlimited you can combine the points into Preferred account and transfer into hotel and airline partners
Annual fee is quite low at $95 a year + you get a 10% anniversary bonus on points + $50 hotel credit in Chase travel.
- 3x on dining
- including eligible delivery services for takeout
- 3x on select streaming services
- 3x on online grocery purchases
- (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
- 5x on all travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards – Chase Travel Portal
- $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards/Chase Travel
- The begins immediately for new cardmembers and after your account anniversary for existing cardmembers
- 10% Anniversary Bonus
- Every year you keep the card, your total spend will yield a 10% points bonus. If you spend $10k in a year, you’ll get 1k bonus points
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® continues to redeem at 1.25c in the Chase Travel Portal and the slew of other benefits remain in tact including primary rental car insurance, purchase protections, etc.
- Points are transferrable to 13 Ultimate Rewards partners
- Redeem in the Chase Travel center for 1.25 cents per point
- No foreign transaction fees
- Suite of Travel and Purchase Coverage
- Primary rental car coverage is my favorite
We keep an up to date spreadsheet that lists the best ever offers: You can find that spreadsheet here.
Historically 80k is a very, very good offer and hit in both 2022 and 2023. In 2021, we saw the offer hit an all time high of 100k. Who knows if that will ever come back.
Cards that earn flexible points and should be used on the bulk of your purchases.
Cards that earn fixed points in the currency of the airline/hotel and can not be transferred at attractive rates. These cards yield benefits that make it worth keeping, but not necessarily worth putting a lot of your everyday spend on.