We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is one of THE BEST cards to keep in your wallet
I’m a huge fan of Chase credit cards. Not only do they have excellent co-branded cards, but their bread and butter Chase Sapphire Preferred lives in my wallet. It’s currently advertising a 60k welcome offer after spending $4k in 3 months, but more than that, it’s been a card I’ve held longterm. Let’s take a quick look at the benefits and a few reasons why I think everyone should have one.
60k Ultimate Rewards after $4k in purchases in 3 months
This is the best public offer we’ve seen on the card. If you’re eligible to get this card as a new cardmember and qualify for the bonus, there hasn’t been a better time to hop on it. The annual fee of $95 isn’t waived.
Chase has some specific restrictions in place for Chase Sapphire cards, so let’s walk through them.
- If you’re opened more than 5 credit cards in the last 24 months Chase won’t approve you for this card
- Make sure you check your credit report to see how many cards are listed
- If you’ve received a sign up bonus for any Chase Sapphire card ( Preferred or Reserve ) in the past 48 months, you’ll be ineligible.
3 Other Reasons I love keeping the card in my wallet
- 2x points on dining and travel
- Anywhere in the world, without limit
- Primary Rental Car Coverage
- A lot of credit cards come with secondary rental card coverage, the Chase Sapphire Preferred offers primary
- Access to Ultimate Rewards transfer partners
- This is where you can make your travel dreams come true by accessing partner programs and redeeming for sweet spots.
- Ability to merge points from Chase “cash back” cards to convert into fully transferrable Ultimate Rewards
Use Ultimate Rewards and transfer to United and fly their new Polaris business class.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred offers some really great benefits for a card that only costs $95 annually. It not only provides primary rental car coverage, which saves me a ton at the counter, but it also means I can merge points from my Freedom, Ink Cash, and Ink Unlimited that would otherwise only earn me cash back. It’s a fantastic way to increase the value of the points earned on those cards.
Every situation is different, but I ultimately decided to keep a Chase Sapphire Preferred en lieu of the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Do the math yourself, but the Chase Sapphire Preferred offers a lot of bang for the buck, and is squarely positioned in my wallet.
Bonus Reason: Chase refer-a-friend
Chase recently upped the total amount of points that you can earn by referring people to 75k in a year. That’s a massive amount of points and completely outweighs the annual fee just by sharing the love.
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers