We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
Review: Virgin Train First Class King’s Cross London to Edinburgh
I think the question that every traveler asks themselves when they see the difference in the cost of coach and first class is whether or not the premium is worth it? Well, I have to say for our Virgin Train trip it was defos worth it. It’s not that the cabin was so posh or the seat was insane, it just made things sooooo much easier. With that being said, we only paid about $40 more for first class than we would have for coach. Here’s what it’s like to travel on Virgin Train First Class King’s Cross London to Edinburgh.
The price for 3 tickets…roughly $90 a ticket for first class. An outstanding deal for a 4.5 hour train ride from London to Edinburgh.
Virgin Train First Class King’s Cross London to Edinburgh review is part of the NFL in London, Scotland, and Dublin Trip Report:
- British Airways Club World A380 LAX- LHR
- London Edition – A Ritz Carlton Hotel is SOHO SEXY
- Marriott Park Lane, London
- Intercontinental Park Lane, London
- Virgin Train First Class Lounge King’s Cross
- Virgin Train First Class King’s Cross London to Edinburgh
- Caledonian Edinburgh, A Waldorf Astoria Property
- Caledonian Afternoon Tea in Peacock Alley
- Balmoral Afternoon Tea in the Palm Court
- No. 1 Lounge at Edinburgh Airport
- Aspire Lounge at Edinburgh Airport
- Intercontinental Dublin
- Lufthansa First Class Ground Services Frankfurt
- Lufthansa First Class Lounge Frankfurt Terminal 1
- Lufthansa First Class 747-8 FRA-LAX
The train stations in London are quite nice with lots of cafes, coffee shops, restaurants, and stores where you can buy bips and bops. But…why would you want to pay for stuff when you can get it free in the lounge?
You get lots of perks and amenities
- Guaranteed seat with a table.
- Food served to the table
- I would have pics of this, but the workers were on strike and therefore the food service was coffee, sandwiches, snacks. Nothing like the normal service, unfortunately.
- Table plugins for power
- Free Wifi
These may not seem like a big deal, but when you’re on a 4.5 hour train trip this makes the journey SOOOOOO much easier. Look, if the cost was a couple hundos more would I think it was worth it…probably not, but it was $40. When you add in the lounge you’re not talking a big premium to be able to eat at a table, guarantee a seat, have power and free wifi…oh and they give you booze for the price of, “on the house.” That’s my favorite price.
Typical seat with a table
Arrival at Edinburgh Waverley
You could not arrive more central to Edinburgh. Walk out the Prince street exit and you’ll find yourself facing the Balmoral, and Edinburgh’s high street: Prince. Walk along the park, enjoy the Edinburgh castle, and you’ll run into the Caledonian flanking the other end. That’s where we ended up staying…review to come.
Would I do it again?
In a heartbeat. $90 and 4.5 hours to get from London to Edinburgh in first class is super cheap. In fact, I’d argue it was quicker than flying when you add in taxis, airport transit, etc. Whether this is the option you take in the end, I would highly recommend investigating it. It was also a great opportunity to hang with the fam, enjoy the countryside, and also be able to look things up on the computer that we’d like to do in Edinburgh. B to the Yaw!
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers