We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com and CardRatings. This relationship may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Monkey Miles is also a Senior Advisor to Bilt Rewards. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
There are two echelons of Rakuten that I always keep my eye out for: 10x and 15x flash portal bonuses. Throughout the year, we will see Rakuten periodically pump up the portal rates to 10x and 15x on multiple occasions, and this is when you should strike. These promos are only for a few days, and I hold off on purchases until the portal is offering these rates, since they are the best. This is especially true if you signed up for a new member bonus of Spend $30, get $30, or Spend $40, get $40.
Rakuten just dropped a 10x promotion for Valentine’s Day and there are a lot of shops participating. Let’s take a look at how you can earn 10x Amex points on your purchases!
You can earn cashback or Amex points via Rakuten
If you are unaware, Rakuten ( formerly Ebates ) partnered with American Express and gave its members the option to earn Amex Membership Rewards in lieu of Cashback. The rate: 1% = 1 Membership Reward. Read this article if you want to learn more.
Personally, I find this to be a far more attractive option since I value Membership Rewards anywhere between 1.5 and 2 cents. This current promo means you could earn an effective 21/ 28% back in the form of points.
You can earn $30 cashback when you spend $30+ by using our link.
You’ll find at 10x at many stores
There are 10x promos at Dell,, Nike, Macy’s, Kiehl’s, etc
Make sure you check out the In Store deals too
As long as you use your card that is entered as a payment option on your Rakuten account, you’ll earn bonus points even when you make a purchase in-store. How cool is that?
How quickly do the points populate your account?
Once a quarter, Rakuten will send the points over to your Amex account. Feb 15th, May 15th, and so and so forth. You can see it populated the same day, but it’s also been 3 or 4 days in the past for me as well.
This is a very good time to utilize the Rakuten portal
Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
60k Points after $4k spend in 3 months
Transferrable Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3x on dining
- including eligible delivery services for takeout
- 3x on select streaming services
- 3x on online grocery purchases
- (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
- 5x on all travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards – Chase Travel Portal
- 2x on all other travel
- $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards/Chase Travel
- The begins immediately for new cardmembers and after your account anniversary for existing cardmembers
- 10% Anniversary Bonus
- Every year you keep the card, your total spend will yield a 10% points bonus. If you spend $10k in a year, you’ll get 1k bonus points
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® continues to redeem at 1.25c in the Chase Travel Portal and the slew of other benefits remain in tact including primary rental car insurance, purchase protections, etc.
- Points are transferrable to 13 Ultimate Rewards partners
- Redeem in the Chase Travel center for 1.25 cents per point
- No foreign transaction fees
- Suite of Travel and Purchase Coverage
- Primary rental car coverage is my favorite
We keep an up to date spreadsheet that lists the best ever offers: You can find that spreadsheet here.
Historically 80k is a very, very good offer and hit in both 2022 and 2023. In 2021, we saw the offer hit an all time high of 100k. Who knows if that will ever come back.
Cards that earn flexible points and should be used on the bulk of your purchases.
Cards that earn fixed points in the currency of the airline/hotel and can not be transferred at attractive rates. These cards yield benefits that make it worth keeping, but not necessarily worth putting a lot of your everyday spend on.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® is exceptional starter card and offers transferrable Ultimate Rewards, and pairs well with other Chase cards.
If you carry this card alongside Chase’s cashback cards like the Chase Freedom Flex℠and Chase Freedom Unlimited® or the business versions: Ink Business Cash® , Ink Business Unlimited® you can combine the points into Preferred account and transfer into hotel and airline partners
Annual fee is quite low at $95 a year + you get a 10% anniversary bonus on points + $50 hotel credit in Chase travel.