We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com and CardRatings. This relationship may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Monkey Miles is also a Senior Advisor to Bilt Rewards. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
Capital One just dropped a new transfer bonus to Avianca LifeMiles program that may be attractive to you. Reports are out that from now until October 14th, 2023, you can get a 15% transfer bonus when you transfer Capital One Miles to Avianca LifeMiles. Personally, my account has not had this populate yet, so perhaps it’s targeted? I haven’t seen, in the past, Capital One target only select accounts, so I’d guess mine will see this promotion quite soon.
Capital One to Avianca LifeMiles
- 1000 Capital One Miles = 1150 Avianca LifeMiles
- Ends 9/30/23
Unfamiliar with Avianca’s Lifemiles program…you’re probably not alone
Avianca became an Amex transfer parter in 2018 and provides excellent access points to Star Alliance award inventory. You can also use them on AeroMexico and Iberia.
Should you transfer?
Personally, I would take advantage of this if you know that there is a trip that you want to take. If not…I wouldn’t transfer your very valuable Amex points to Avianca simply to get a 15% bonus.
Here’s a look at Avianca’s award chart
Sweet Spots include:
- US to Europe in Business Class for 63k
- US to Europe in First Class for 87k
- US to North Asia in Biz for 75k
- US to North Asia in First for 90k
Mixed Cabin trips are where its at!
As I noted above, one of the sweet spots is booking First Class between Europe and the US for 87k miles. However, Avianca gives its loyalists a break when their entire itinerary isn’t in the same cabin. Here’s a look at an itinerary from Paris via Munich to Los Angeles in Lufthansa First Class. Since the first leg is in economy the price is knocked down to just 83,200.
Avianca updated and improved their booking website in 2020
Up until recently, Avianca had a clunk booking engine that would crash when used in Chrome. Now…they’ve created a fantastic new search facility that I almost always use in Smart Search.
If you’re looking to make an award redemption in the near future…this could be a great time to make use of the program and achieve your travel aspirations at lower prices! If not..I wouldn’t pull the trigger.
Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
60k Points after $4k spend in 3 months
In Chase branch: 70k Points after $4k spend in 3 months ( make appt with banker –Information about this card has been collected independently by Monkey Miles. Card issuer is not responsible for the information or accuracy.)
Transferrable Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3x on dining
- including eligible delivery services for takeout
- 3x on select streaming services
- 3x on online grocery purchases
- (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
- 5x on all travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards – Chase Travel Portal
- $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards/Chase Travel
- The begins immediately for new cardmembers and after your account anniversary for existing cardmembers
- 10% Anniversary Bonus
- Every year you keep the card, your total spend will yield a 10% points bonus. If you spend $10k in a year, you’ll get 1k bonus points
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® continues to redeem at 1.25c in the Chase Travel Portal and the slew of other benefits remain in tact including primary rental car insurance, purchase protections, etc.
- Points are transferrable to 13 Ultimate Rewards partners
- Redeem in the Chase Travel center for 1.25 cents per point
- No foreign transaction fees
- Suite of Travel and Purchase Coverage
- Primary rental car coverage is my favorite
We keep an up to date spreadsheet that lists the best ever offers: You can find that spreadsheet here.
Historically 80k is a very, very good offer and hit in both 2022 and 2023. In 2021, we saw the offer hit an all time high of 100k. Who knows if that will ever come back.
Cards that earn flexible points and should be used on the bulk of your purchases.
Cards that earn fixed points in the currency of the airline/hotel and can not be transferred at attractive rates. These cards yield benefits that make it worth keeping, but not necessarily worth putting a lot of your everyday spend on.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® is exceptional starter card and offers transferrable Ultimate Rewards, and pairs well with other Chase cards.
If you carry this card alongside Chase’s cashback cards like the Chase Freedom Flex℠and Chase Freedom Unlimited® or the business versions: Ink Business Cash® , Ink Business Unlimited® you can combine the points into Preferred account and transfer into hotel and airline partners
Annual fee is quite low at $95 a year + you get a 10% anniversary bonus on points + $50 hotel credit in Chase travel.