We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Monkey Miles is also a Senior Advisor to Bilt Rewards Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you currently hold an American Express Platinum card, your benefits just got a little fancier and more rewarding. Amex announced that they are going to offer a bi-annual $50 credit towards purchases at Saks 5th Avenue. I’ve included the terms and conditions below, but the long and short of it is, after enrolling, you’ll get a $50 statement credit from January to June, and another $50 credit between July and December when you purchase items at Saks. Make sure you check out the specifics on terms, as certain items, like gift cards are excluded.
Widget not in any sidebars
Post July 1st: Here are the statement credits that Amex Platinum now offers
- Annual $200 Airline Incidental credit
- Annual $200 Uber Credit
- Global Entry – $100
- Annual $100 Saks 5th avenue credit
- Amex Offers – varies
You can go here to Enroll:
You’ll see this, follow the steps, you’re done.
- $100 per year, split into 2 time frames:
- January to June; July to December
- Valid in US/US territories and Online
- Valid on Basic and Additional Card Members
- Not valid at/on:
- Saks Gift card purchases
- restaurants within Saks
- Saks Outlets
- Online Bill Pay
- Saks Credit
Each year through the “Shop Saks with Platinum” benefit, enrolled U.S. Platinum Card Members will receive up to $50 in statement credits when they shop at Saks from January through June, and up to $50 in statement credits when they shop at Saks from July through December.
“‘Shop Saks with Platinum’ underscores Saks’ continuous goal of enhancing our clients’ end-to-end shopping experience by bridging two powerhouse brands―Saks and American Express―and providing benefits to improve their overall experience,” stated Emily Essner, Senior Vice President, Marketing and Digital, Saks Fifth Avenue. “We’re excited to offer this benefit to Platinum Card Members and invite them to experience Saks.”
Widget not in any sidebars
Amex continues to find ways to add value to cardholders. This is clearly targeting a certain sector of retail consumer, but many of the products that people use, and may buy elsewhere are sold at Saks. Personally, I like Kiehl’s products, and can use this credit to purchase face wash, etc and get it reimbursed. So I just those products free of charge. BYAH!
If you can utilize this Saks credit, the airline incidental credit, and uber credits, you’re receiving $500 of the $550 back every year. That leaves $50 for access to great benefits like Boingo, Centurion Lounges, 5x points on certain travel categories, Fine Hotels and Resorts, and Global Entry. That’s a lot of reasons to hold this card.
Plus it’s super duper metal.
Affiliate link via Card Ratings
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great starter card that earns Premium Ultimate Rewards that can be transferred into over a dozen partners many of which are US based.
60k Points after $4k spend in 3 months
Transferrable Chase Ultimate Rewards
If you carry this card alongside Chase’s cashback cards like the Chase Freedom Flex℠and Chase Freedom Unlimited® or the business versions: Ink Business Cash , Ink Business Unlimited you can combine the points into Preferred account and transfer into hotel and airline partners
Annual fee is quite low at $95 a year + you get a 10% anniversary bonus on points + $50 hotel credit in Chase travel.
- 3x on dining
- including eligible delivery services for takeout
- 3x on select streaming services
- 3x on online grocery purchases
- (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
- 5x on all travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards – Chase Travel Portal
- $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards/Chase Travel
- The begins immediately for new cardmembers and after your account anniversary for existing cardmembers
- 10% Anniversary Bonus
- Every year you keep the card, your total spend will yield a 10% points bonus. If you spend $10k in a year, you’ll get 1k bonus points
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® continues to redeem at 1.25c in the Chase Travel Portal and the slew of other benefits remain in tact including primary rental car insurance, purchase protections, etc.
- Points are transferrable to 13 Ultimate Rewards partners
- Redeem in the Chase Travel center for 1.25 cents per point
- No foreign transaction fees
- Suite of Travel and Purchase Coverage
- Primary rental car coverage is my favorite
We keep an up to date spreadsheet that lists the best ever offers: You can find that spreadsheet here.
Historically 80k is a very, very good offer and hit in both 2022 and 2023. In 2021, we saw the offer hit an all time high of 100k. Who knows if that will ever come back.
Cards that earn flexible points and should be used on the bulk of your purchases.
Cards that earn fixed points in the currency of the airline/hotel and can not be transferred at attractive rates. These cards yield benefits that make it worth keeping, but not necessarily worth putting a lot of your everyday spend on.