We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Monkey Miles is also a Senior Advisor to Bilt Rewards Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Targeted Amex Offer: Spend $200 earn 20k MR
A few days ago I received an Amex Offer from Intermedia to spend $200 and receive 20k Membership Rewards. Now…that is a ridiculously sweet offer to straight up buy Amex points for $0.01. I recently wrote where my Amex Biz Plat is going to get a minimum $0.02 redemption value until October because of the Amex 50% back extension. I’m not an arbitrage expert, but I’m pretty sure this is a no brainer. Now…how exactly do I go about spending $200 at Intermedia which is a cloud computing company and doesn’t have random bips and bops to buy. I think I figured it out and I’ll walk you through my idea.
Here’s my targeted offer: Spend $200 with Intermedia and get 20k Membership Rewards!
The details say I go to Intermedia.net/amexoffers
When you go there this is what you see.
Now we need to hit $200…That’s a slight problem because they are monthly user fees. The last one is the only one that would break $200 in a year’s time for one user however we have to hit this by 9/25/2017 in one or more transcations. Hmmmm
Oh, wait. Option one gives us a couple pieces of valuable info.
- 3 users are needed. That’s great because we need to hit $200
- I save $1 a month if I buy an annual subscription
- This is even better. The $200 spend needs to hit my card by 9/25/2017
This amounts to $22.47 a month. Or $269.64 for an annual membership OR roughly $0.013 per point
I’m more than likely going to go ahead and buy this deal out in the next few days. It almost seems to be too good to be true. The biggest thing I’ll have to remember is to cancel the memberships before renewal – an easy calendar reminder I’ll put on my phone.
Amex Membership Rewards are one of my favorite currencies and I often transfer them to Singapore Airlines to redeem on their partners. Which partners? So glad you asked
Lufthansa First Class 80k point for first class from Europe to the States.
Singapore Suites – 50k within Asia Ok this isn’t a partner, but still a badddddmamajamma of a product
And a great sweet spot in Asia on EVA – just 27,500 miles
The worst case scenario is I redeem them through Amex Travel for $400 worth of flights before October rolls around. Were you targeted and are you going to buy some random cloud computing for points? Talk to me people!
Affiliate link via Card Ratings
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great starter card that earns Premium Ultimate Rewards that can be transferred into over a dozen partners many of which are US based.
60k Points after $4k spend in 3 months
Transferrable Chase Ultimate Rewards
If you carry this card alongside Chase’s cashback cards like the Chase Freedom Flex℠and Chase Freedom Unlimited® or the business versions: Ink Business Cash , Ink Business Unlimited you can combine the points into Preferred account and transfer into hotel and airline partners
Annual fee is quite low at $95 a year + you get a 10% anniversary bonus on points + $50 hotel credit in Chase travel.
- 3x on dining
- including eligible delivery services for takeout
- 3x on select streaming services
- 3x on online grocery purchases
- (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
- 5x on all travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards – Chase Travel Portal
- $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards/Chase Travel
- The begins immediately for new cardmembers and after your account anniversary for existing cardmembers
- 10% Anniversary Bonus
- Every year you keep the card, your total spend will yield a 10% points bonus. If you spend $10k in a year, you’ll get 1k bonus points
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® continues to redeem at 1.25c in the Chase Travel Portal and the slew of other benefits remain in tact including primary rental car insurance, purchase protections, etc.
- Points are transferrable to 13 Ultimate Rewards partners
- Redeem in the Chase Travel center for 1.25 cents per point
- No foreign transaction fees
- Suite of Travel and Purchase Coverage
- Primary rental car coverage is my favorite
We keep an up to date spreadsheet that lists the best ever offers: You can find that spreadsheet here.
Historically 80k is a very, very good offer and hit in both 2022 and 2023. In 2021, we saw the offer hit an all time high of 100k. Who knows if that will ever come back.
Cards that earn flexible points and should be used on the bulk of your purchases.
Cards that earn fixed points in the currency of the airline/hotel and can not be transferred at attractive rates. These cards yield benefits that make it worth keeping, but not necessarily worth putting a lot of your everyday spend on.