We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
Targeted: Join Ambassador get 10k bonus IHG points
I’ve written about Intercontinental’s Ambassador program quite a bit in the past. It’s completely separate from IHG and the benefits are only good at Intercontinental hotels. What’s even more distinct…you pay to join! Yes, $200 is the typical price to join the first year, and then every subsequent year, it’s $150 to keep the membership. However, it’s been my experience that members are frequently offered some sort of bonus or offer in addition to the discounted $150 membership price in order to keep it. I, personally, am not an Ambassador, although I take a family trip at least once a year and both my parents are Ambassadors. Yes, it has been lucrative enough for them to both keep the membership ( although you are given an option to use points to pay the fee ). I recently received an email targeting me with an offer that I’m considering doing: Join Ambassador, get 10k bonus IHG points.
Here is the targeted email I received, you can click it to see if you’ve been targeted too.
The terms say that the email cannot be forwarded, etc.
And then here are the two options I was given for joining
The 32k point option is particularly interesting.
- 32k – 10k bonus = 22k
- Majored in Miles suggests that you’d receive 10% of this back if you maintain the Chase IHG credit card as well.
- You can buy IHG points with a dummy booking for $0.006 per point
- This means you’re effectively paying $132, or $119 after taking the 10% IHG credit card refund into account.
Check your Accelerate promos to see if you are targeted to get more bonus points by joining Ambassador. Majored in Miles was targeted for 5k bonus points.
Here are a few of the perks that are associated with Ambassador. You can read more about why my family values these benefits quite a bit. A Big one is a free weekend night.
- Guaranteed room upgrade – this has turned into Club access and Suites in the past for me and my family
- There is always fresh fruit and water in the room ( whatever that’s worth to you )
- There hasn’t been a time where we weren’t given 4pm late check-out
- Free pay-per-view movie ( used it a few times)
- COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT
- This is a big one. You must pay for the 1st night, but the 2nd night is free. You can even book this online.
As an example of perks we’ve received…We were upgraded to a suite in Cleveland, given club access in Boston, and the free weekend night certificate has saved a couple hundred bucks per use.
My mom giving the thumbs up to the club level in Boston…where we started her $125k Surprise Trip Around the World.
If you’re looking to stay with Intercontinental more than a few nights this coming year, I’d recommend Ambassador. If not…you may not get the value out of the added status.
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers