We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Monkey Miles is also a Senior Advisor to Bilt Rewards Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
There are 31 Palace hotels in France
In 2010, France’s Ministry of Tourism introduced a new category of hotel that would be recognized as better than 5 star: Palace Status. If you see this demarkation on the outside of a hotel, rest assured, you are staying in the very best of the best. In fact, only 31 hotels across the whole of France have earned the honor. While 5 star hotels offer bilingual services, spa facilities, concierge, etc – Palace hotels offer those certain “je ne sais quoi” factors such as history of the hotel site, environmental policy, character, et al. Check out the list, and you’ll certainly see that it is chalked full of the most famous and esteemed hotels France has to offer, and unless I’m overlooking one, the only redeemable with points is the Park Hyatt Paris.
The 31 hotels currently deemed “Palace” worthy:
- Hôtel du Palais – Biarritz (Pays Basque)
- Hôtel Le Park Hyatt Paris Vendôme – Paris
- Both of these hotels are bookable with Hyatt points
- Hôtel Les Airelles – Courchevel (Alps)
- Hôtel Berrière Les Neiges
- Hôtel L’Apogee – Courchevel
- Hôtel Le Cheval Blanc – Courchevel (Alps)
- Hôtel Le Bristol – Paris
- Four Seasons Hotel George V – Paris
- Hôtel Lutétia – Paris
- Hôtel Le Meurice – Paris
- Hôtel Le Plaza Athénée – Paris
- Hôtel Le Grand-Hôtel du Cap-Ferrat, a Four Seasons Hotel – Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat (Côte d’Azur)
- Hôtel La Réserve – Ramatuelle (Provence)
- Hôtel Le Byblos – Saint-Tropez (Provence)
- Le Château de La Messardière – Saint-Tropez (Provence)
- Le Royal Monceau – Paris
- Shangri-La Hotel– Paris
- Mandarin Oriental – Paris
- Hôtel Le K2 – Courchevel (Alps)
- La Réserve Paris – Paris
- The Peninsula – Paris
- Le Royal Evian – Evian-les-Bains (Alps)
- Le Cap-Eden-Rock – Antibes (Côte d’Azur)
- La Bastide de Gordes – Gordes (Vaucluse)
- Les Sources de Caudalie – Martillac (Gironde)
- Les Prés d’Eugénie – Eugénie-les-Bains (Landes)
- Cheval Blanc St-Barth Isle de France – Saint-Barthélémy Island
- Byblos Saint-Tropez
- Château de la Messardière – Saint Tropez
- Château de Saint-Martin & Spa –Vence
- Villa La Coste – Le Puy-Sainte-Réparade
How does a hotel gain Palace status in France?
It’s a two phase process whereby the ministry of tourism awards the distinction:
Booking the Park Hyatt Paris or Hôtel du Palais Biarritz with World of Hyatt points
If you’re looking to score a deal, search for the Park Hyatt Paris in calendar mode. Remember both Chase Ultimate Rewards and Bilt Rewards are transfer partners of Hyatt and 35k would be the off peak rate at category 8 hotels.
Personally I love visiting Paris in the winter – the temps don’t get too cold, the city is gorgeously dressed for Christmas, and it’s far less touristy. Just be prepared for some cloudy days, sporadic rain or even some snow.
And here is the Hôtel du PalaisBiarritz which is a category 7 hotel… starting late October through Feb 25k a night. You will find 30k nights in June/Sept as well.
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
A Monkey Miles favorite for beginners and point pros alike – a staple of our wallet that earns Premium transferrable Ultimate Rewards. $95 annual fee
♥ Earn 60k Bonus Points after $4k Spend in 3 months
♥Points are transferrable to over dozen partners, or redeemable for 1.25c in Chase travel
♥5x on travel purchased via Chase Travel and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
♥3x on dining, including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out
♥3x on select streaming
♥ 3x points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs
♥ $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards. *New cardmembers can get this credit immediately – existing cardmembers get it after anniversary
♥ 10% Anniversary Point Bonus. Spend $10k in a year, get 1k bonus points.