We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Monkey Miles is also a Senior Advisor to Bilt Rewards Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chase Freedom Flex 2023 category bonuses
We love the Chase Freedom Flex for this exact perk: rotating, quarterly 5x bonus categories.
What does that mean?
It means that every 3 months Chase Freedom releases a new list of bonus categories that earn 5x throughout the quarter. It’s an incredible way to multiply the number points you make on purchases, or strategize for the future. The new rotating bonus categories for the 2nd quarter of 2023 are now active: Lowe’s and Amazon
I would definitely consider either getting a Chase Freedom Flex or converting your existing Freedom to a Freedom Flex in order to enjoy the native category bonuses the card offers in addition to these quarterly, rotating category bonuses.
As long as you activate by March 14th, you’ll receive 5% or 5x on all of the purchases made in the bonus categories for that quarter.
The Chase Q2 2023 rotating category bonuses for the Chase Freedom Flex are: Lowe’s and Amazon.com
- You must activate by 06/14/23
- The spending is capped at $1500
- This means that your earning potential is maxed at out 7500 points or $75 cashback
- You must activate this perk each quarter, starting the 15th of the month prior ( September ), up until the 14th of the last month ( December ).
- If you have a Freedom and Freedom Flex, you’ll get $1500 per card.
- Target: This is a brand new quarterly category for Chase Freedom,
- clothing to home goods, electronics, toys, and more.
- Qualifying grocery store purchases made at Target will only earn a total of 5%.
What have the past Chase Freedom/Flex bonus catagories?
Just so you have an idea, here’s a look at what we’ve seen incentivized in the past.
Here’s a look at 2022
Here’s a look at the 2021 calendar
And the 2020 categories
When Do the new bonus Categories start? The 1st of every quarter
You’ll need to register for these bonus categories by March 14th, 2023. As long as you register by that date, all of the purchases made in these categories will earn 5%/5x points.
Where Do I go to Register? Click here – available starting 03/15/23
How we use Chase Freedom/ Freedom Flex to get closer to lie-flat seats and 5 star suites.
If you’re like me and carry a Chase Premium credit card like the Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve, or Ink Business Preferred then you can combine your Freedom Flex points into those accounts in order to transfer them into valuable partners.
This is by far the most advantageous usage of Ultimate Rewards, but also increases the value when redeemed in the Chase Travel center. For instance, if you move them into a Chase Sapphire Reserve account, your points will instantly be redeemable for 1.5 cents per point, a 50% increase over redeeming them in the Freedom Chase Travel Center.
Don’t have a Chase premium card?
You should definitely check out our thoughts and the latest offers on:
Combining a Chase Premium card like those above will help you optimize your spend and value of the points you’re earning.
One of the coolest ways to use Chase Ultimate rewards? Emirates First Class. Immerse yourself in the full experience in our YouTube video below!
Take a look at our Best Uses of Chase Points
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great starter card that earns Premium Ultimate Rewards that can be transferred into over a dozen partners many of which are US based.
60k Points after $4k spend in 3 months
80k offer in branch currently – I think this should be online soon
Transferrable Chase Ultimate Rewards
Super solid welcome offer.
If you carry this card alongside Chase’s cashback cards like the Chase Freedom Flex℠and Chase Freedom Unlimited® or the business versions: Ink Business Cash , Ink Business Unlimited you can combine the points into Preferred account and transfer into hotel and airline partners
Annual fee is quite low at $95 a year + you get a 10% anniversary bonus on points + $50 hotel credit in Chase travel.
- 3x on dining
- including eligible delivery services for takeout
- 3x on select streaming services
- 3x on online grocery purchases
- (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
- 5x on all travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards – Chase Travel Portal
- $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards/Chase Travel
- The begins immediately for new cardmembers and after your account anniversary for existing cardmembers
- 10% Anniversary Bonus
- Every year you keep the card, your total spend will yield a 10% points bonus. If you spend $10k in a year, you’ll get 1k bonus points
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® continues to redeem at 1.25c in the Chase Travel Portal and the slew of other benefits remain in tact including primary rental car insurance, purchase protections, etc.
- Points are transferrable to 13 Ultimate Rewards partners
- Redeem in the Chase Travel center for 1.25 cents per point
- No foreign transaction fees
- Suite of Travel and Purchase Coverage
- Primary rental car coverage is my favorite
There is currently an 80k offer after $4k spend in 3 months available in branch, and up to 90k after $6k spend in 6 months. I suspect some version of this will be online soon if you don’t want the hassle of going into a branch.
We keep an up to date spreadsheet that lists the best ever offers: You can find that spreadsheet here.
Historically 60k is a very, very good offer. In 2021, we saw the offer hit an all time high of 100k. Who knows if that will ever come back. .
Cards that earn flexible points and should be used on the bulk of your purchases.
Cards that earn fixed points in the currency of the airline/hotel and can not be transferred at attractive rates. These cards yield benefits that make it worth keeping, but not necessarily worth putting a lot of your everyday spend on.