We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Monkey Miles is also a Senior Advisor to Bilt Rewards Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Great Iberia Business Class Award Rates
Whenever I’m asked about some of the best uses of points and miles Iberia pops up Iberia offers an incredible way to access Europe in business class starting at just 68k points roundtrip. Iberia is a transfer partner of both Chase and Amex often targeted for transfer bonuses throughout the year.
They just announced 3 new cities that will be added this summer:
- Washington D.C.
*It appears that the Dallas route is adding crazy high fees ( in the $1500 to $2000 range ) that aren’t being added to any other routes that I’ve seen. Something to be aware of and hopefully a glitch and not precursor a change to come
Let’s take a look at how you can book them and what to expect. All three have a ton of award availability throughout the year so if you have plans, this could be an excellent time to book. It’s been a few year since I flew Iberia Business Class on the A330, but it was a comfortable, life flat experience, that was an incredible redemption at just 34k Avios one way. The full review can be read here.
Iberia Calendar – Off Peak and Peak
Iberia prices their awards on a Peak/Off Peak calendar – you’ll get screaming good deals when you book during Off Peak.
White = Off Peak
Red = Peak
Iberia Routes to the USA with roundtrip pricing using Iberia Avios
Iberia Avios are pretty easily populated and a partner of both Chase and Amex. You could also convert Marriott Bonvoy Points as well.
City Pairs and current Avios rates:
68k Off Peak / 100k Peak
- New York
- Washington D.C.
85k Off Peak / 125k Peak
102 Off Peak / 150 Peak
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
Finding Iberia award space: Use AA.com
The easiest is to go to AA.com and search in calendar function. The cheapest pricing between the US and Madrid is 57.5k so whenever you see that there is a high liklihood Iberia has availability on those days. You may run into some false positives since AA also operates direct routes to Mad that could price similarly, but this is the easiest.
- enter any random date
- select Calendar View and non stop
- Once you see the space go to Iberia to book if you’d rather that booking option
Booking Iberia Business Class
Iberia is a member of One World and as long as you see seats available on Iberia you should be able to book with a partner.
AA and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- American Miles
- Only populated by Bilt Rewards currently
- 57.5k from anywhere in America
- Cathay Pacific
- Amex, Citi, Cap1, Marriott, Brex
- Between 45k and 70k
If you’re looking to book flights to Europe, I’d definitely consider using Madrid as an access point and redeeming Iberia Avios to fly business class at incredible rates.
Affiliate link via Card Ratings
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great starter card that earns Premium Ultimate Rewards that can be transferred into over a dozen partners many of which are US based.
60k Points after $4k spend in 3 months
Transferrable Chase Ultimate Rewards
If you carry this card alongside Chase’s cashback cards like the Chase Freedom Flex℠and Chase Freedom Unlimited® or the business versions: Ink Business Cash , Ink Business Unlimited you can combine the points into Preferred account and transfer into hotel and airline partners
Annual fee is quite low at $95 a year + you get a 10% anniversary bonus on points + $50 hotel credit in Chase travel.
- 3x on dining
- including eligible delivery services for takeout
- 3x on select streaming services
- 3x on online grocery purchases
- (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
- 5x on all travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards – Chase Travel Portal
- $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards/Chase Travel
- The begins immediately for new cardmembers and after your account anniversary for existing cardmembers
- 10% Anniversary Bonus
- Every year you keep the card, your total spend will yield a 10% points bonus. If you spend $10k in a year, you’ll get 1k bonus points
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® continues to redeem at 1.25c in the Chase Travel Portal and the slew of other benefits remain in tact including primary rental car insurance, purchase protections, etc.
- Points are transferrable to 13 Ultimate Rewards partners
- Redeem in the Chase Travel center for 1.25 cents per point
- No foreign transaction fees
- Suite of Travel and Purchase Coverage
- Primary rental car coverage is my favorite
We keep an up to date spreadsheet that lists the best ever offers: You can find that spreadsheet here.
Historically 80k is a very, very good offer and hit in both 2022 and 2023. In 2021, we saw the offer hit an all time high of 100k. Who knows if that will ever come back.
Cards that earn flexible points and should be used on the bulk of your purchases.
Cards that earn fixed points in the currency of the airline/hotel and can not be transferred at attractive rates. These cards yield benefits that make it worth keeping, but not necessarily worth putting a lot of your everyday spend on.