We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
In case you’re unfamiliar with IHG and how its bifurcated program works I’ll do a quick refresher. IHG operates two concurrent programs: IHG Rewards Club and Ambassador. IHG Rewards Select has varying tiers and its IHG Rewards Select points that you redeem or earn whenever you stay at any of IHG’s propertires. IHG’s Ambassador program is geared specifically towards their Intercontinental Brand, and you pay to participate. The program guarantees a certain group of benefits that, in my experience, have significantly outweighed the cost of joining year after year. Those benefits are changing in early 2019.
Here’s what the program currently offers:
- Joining costs either $200 or 40k points
- Guaranteed upgrade upon arrival
- Usually the upgrade shows on the account prior to arrival
- Complimentary Weekend Night
- must be booked via their site
- Enjoy a 4 pm late check out
- Choice of refreshments on arrival, in-room welcome gift, and mineral water.
- Additionally, you will receive one complimentary pay TV film per stay.
Here’s the new stuff
What’s going away:
- Pay per view movie
- Fruit plate only given in Greater China for Platinum and Spire Elites
What’s coming to
- Comped Platinum Status
- $20 bar or restaurant credit per room
- E-Delivered Free Weekend Night
- This is overdue and greatly appreciated.
- Extra benefits in China
- One Breakfast for each night you stay
- 15% discount on bar and restaurant purchases
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers
A Monkey Miles favorite for beginners and point pros alike – a staple of our wallet that earns Premium transferrable Ultimate Rewards. $95 annual fee
♥ Earn 60k Bonus Points after $4k Spend in 3 months
♥Points are transferrable to over dozen partners, or redeemable for 1.25c in Chase travel
♥5x on travel purchased via Chase Travel and 2x everywhere else (beginning 8/16/21)
♥3x on dining, including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out (previously 2x – beginning 8/16/21)
♥3x on select streaming (beginning 8/16/21)
♥ 3x points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs -(beginning 8/16/21)
♥ $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards. *New cardmembers can get this credit immediately – existing cardmembers get it after anniversary (beginning 8/16/21)
♥ 10% Anniversary Point Bonus. Spend $10k in a year, get 1k bonus points. (beginning 8/16/21)