We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
It’s MMMondayMemo: When do points expire?
Each Monday Miles has decided to drop a tip, hint, tutorial, trick that maybe you’ve missed or haven’t heard before. If you’re an expert in this field, some of these may be things you already know, but there are a lot of beginners out there who are just getting their feet wet. This week the Monkey Miles Monday Memo focuses on keeping your miles alive so that you can use them when you want! MMMondayMemo: When do points expire?
Yes, your miles will expire if you don’t do something to keep them alive!
The two big exceptions to this rule are Delta and JetBlue. But who knows with Delta, they devalue without warning so I’d assume they would do the same thing with their mileage terms. Here’s a look some of the top programs and their transfer partners:
|Program||Expiration after||Extend?||Transfer Partner|
|Air Canada||12 months||with any activity||Amex|
|Alaska Airways||24 months||with any activity||SPG|
|American Airlines||18 months||with any activity||SPG|
|British Airways||36 months||with any activity||UR, Amex, SPG|
|Etihad||Depends on status, expiration occurs end of month 2-3 years after earning|
Guest: 2 years
Silver: 2 years
Gold: 3 years
Platinum: 3 years
|nope.||TY, Amex, SPG|
|KLM/Air France||Elites: Never|
Non- 20 months
|UR, TY, Amex, SPG|
|Korean Air||10 years||UR, SPG|
|Singapore||36 months from earning.||Not with activity. But you can pay a fee per 10,000 miles||UR, TY, Amex, SPG|
|Southwest||24 months||with any activity||UR|
|United||18 months||with any activity||UR, SPG|
|Virgin America||18 months||with any activity||Amex|
|Virgin Atlantic||36 months||with any activity||UR, Amex, SPG|
For MOST programs, activity will extend them.
That’s right, any kind of activity. Whether it be flights, dining, purchasing points, using a co-branded credit cards, etc. The clock resets with that activity. Pretty great really.
What are some easy ways to get activity without flying?
Have a credit card
- Many credit cards keep your miles alive without ever spending a dime on them. Even if they don’t, it’s very easy to just pay a parking meter or buy a coffee. That simple purchase will extend your miles.
Belong to a dining program
- Dining programs earn you money every time you dine at a partner restaurant. The best part is you don’t have to do anything after you’ve registered your card. Just dine, charge, and collect the points on the back end. It’s a great way to double dip: you’ll earn credit card points as well as points with whichever program your dining account is partnered.
- If you’re really close to expiration, buy a 1000 points. Better to spend 30 or 40 bucks on buying some points than let all of them expire.
- Transferring points from a partner program qualifies as activity.
- Just using your points restarts the clock on activity!
Shop through an award mall
- Most programs have some sort of award mall portal. If you want to buy something online and the store is listed as a partner of the award mall that you need to extend points with… buy it through that portal. That will give you the activity you need to extend your expiration date.
Credit your hotel stay to an airline
- Many hotels are partnered with airlines. En lieu of earning hotel points you can earn airline miles instead. This will push your expiration date out as well.
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers
This is an amazing premium card offering a stand out welcome offer that could earn you 225k points! Our favorite perk is the oustanding 10x bonus points on gas and groceries for 6 months and up to $15k spend! It’s pumped full of perks and travel benefits we love.
♥ Earn 75k points welcome offer after spending $5000 in 6 months
♥10x on gas and groceries, up to $15k, for first 6 months of card membership
♥5x flights booked via Amex Travel and directly with airlines
♥Amazing annual credits: $200 Uber credits, $200 Airline incidental fees, and $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit
♥Comped Hotel Status: Marriott Gold + Hilton Gold
♥Over 20 transfer partners to achieve aspirational flights and hotel redemptions