We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
While Sydney gets tons of media attention for its gorgeous Harbour bridge and Opera house, Melbourne has quietly become the art and foody center of Australia. From its gorgeous river front and city circle tram to the Yarra Valley and Queen Victoria market – Melbourne is a place I can’t wait to visit again.
Where to stay:
The Langham is the grand dame of Melbourne and is situated smack on the Yarra with great access to the thriving riverfront. If you’re looking for a great deal with points, I’d recommend the Park Hyatt, cat 5, or Grand Hyatt, cat 4. In fact, the Park Hyatt Melbourne, cat 5, is one of the few Park Hyatts in the world that offer a club level.
Head down to the riverfront and enjoy the sunset, a spritzer, beer, or cocktail and toast to the end of the week. The riverfront is jam packed with people who are calling it quits for the week and celebrating the incredible river culture Melbourne thrives on. We enjoyed a couple of the bars that actually rest on the river.
Either grab dinner on the river, or head up to Centre Place – a short walk from the river front. Centre Place is part of the “laneways” that span Hoddle Grid and represent some fantastic examples of street art and is chalked full of boutiques, tasty treats, and eclectic vendors. An alternative? Degraves street – very, very cool.
Head out to the Yarra Valley and enjoy a wine tour. The Yarra Valley is not only drop dead gorgeous and a short trip from downtown, but it’s producing some formidable Pinot Noirs. The TarraWarra Estate is one of the region’s most popular wineries.
Depending on when you get back – head out of the city for a walk on Batman Avenue to the Royal Botanical Gardens.
We really enjoyed walking along the river bank towards Rod Laver Arena. The city planners have done a wonderful job creating areas for the public to enjoy green areas. It also creates an amazing view of the city.
You could end the night seeing performances at Laver by the likes of Sam Smith, Kevin Hart, Keith Urban, and the list goes on and on.
Not your speed – head out to Fitzroy, the hispster/artsy area of Melbourne and walk Brunswick St to find something that suits your fancy
Wake up early and walk down ( or take the circle city tram ) to Queen Victoria Market. It’s a converted post office that is full of coffee shops, butchers, breakfast joints, bakeries, and a great mix of eclectic vendors.
After breakfast, head out to the flea and farmers market and get some crazy cheap deals on this and that.
Head back to the hotel to check out.
Australia 2018 – Qantas First, Cathay Biz/First, Sydney, Melbourne, Gold Coast, and Hong Kong
- How I found and booked 2 Qantas First Class Tickets
- How I landed Qantas + Cathay Biz/First to/from Australia – $40k in value
- How I used Alaska Miles to bake in a stopover in a Hong Kong
- Review: Qantas First Class Lounge LAX
- Review: Qantas First Class LAX-MEL
- Review: Qantas Business Class Lounge Melbourne
- Review: Qantas Business Class A330 Melbourne to Sydney
- Intercontinental Sydney
- How to spend 2 awesome nights in Melbourne
- Review: Qualia – Hamilton Island
- Review: Palm Bungalows – Hamilton Island
- Why you should add Hamilton Island to your Australia adventure
- What it’s like taking a helicopter to the Great Barrier Reef
- Review: Sofitel Gold Coast
- Review: Qantas Business Class Lounge Brisbane
- Review: Cathay Pacific Business Class A350 Brisbane to Hong Kong
- Review: Cathay Pacific Arrivals Lounge Hong Kong
- Review: Grand Hyatt Hong Kong 1 bedroom Suite
- What it’s like being a Hyatt VIP with Prive
- Review: Cathay Pacific The Pier
- Review: Cathay Pacific The Wing
- Review: Cathay Pacific The Bridge
- Review: Cathay Pacific First Class Hong Kong to Los Angeles
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers
A Monkey Miles favorite for small business owners who want triple points on valuable categories + free mobile phone insurance. Enjoy an all time high sign up bonus as well!
♥ Earn 80k Bonus Points after $5k Spend in 3 months
♥ 3x on travel, mobile phone, internet, cable, social media advertising, and shipping ( up to $150k )
♥ Earns some of the most valuable points in the industry