We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
I was VERY excited to experience Qantas’ new business class aboard their A330. It’s fitted with all aisle access, Vantage XL seating ( very similar SAS business class ) and we chose to sit in the mini cabin between the main business class cabin and economy. Since this is a domestic flight, it’s sort of a taster course to see how the seat and cabin feel, but with barely over an hour in the air – there’s no time to get a full business class experience. Here’s our review of Qantas Business Class A330 from Melbourne to Sydney.
- When: April 2018
- Route: Melbourne to Sydney
- Flight Time: 1h 25m
- Aircraft: A330
- Seat: 8E
- Loyalty: This was part of our LAX-MEL-SYD redemption of 70k Alaska + $45
We lined up first, scrambled ahead, and luckily we entered the plane between the front cabin and cockpit, grabbed a great main cabin business class photo, and I thought it was super handsome. As you can see the seating is 1-2-1 with alternating seats to the aisle vs set in a bit.
The very best seats for singles are set in against the window. These give you maximum privacy, window views, and shield you from the aisle.
We sat in the Mini Cabin. As you can see the screens pivot, there is a small storage area in the center along with seating controls, and tray table.
The seat goes completely flat, however, I found the footwell to be a bit tight. I wear a size 12 shoe, but compared to what you’d find on AA’s 772 with Super Diamonds or the 77W business class of Cathay or AA it’s quite a bit tighter.
Food and service
We had a quick snack and the staff seemed a bit stressed getting it served, and I have no idea how I ate again, but I did. That’s breakfast on the Qantas First Flight, a snack in Qantas Business Class lounge, and now again…I’m stuffing my face. It was tasty and far better than what you’d find on a commensurately long flight in the states, or even a longer business/first flight. Very impressed with the food.
We had under 90 minutes to experience this flight and it was great, no complaints, and I’d happily fly it much further. Is it my favorite business class design? No. I prefer the privacy and space that other reverse herringbone configurations provide, but it’s a big step up from their older business class offering ( which you’d find on the A380 I flew over on.)
Australia 2018 – Qantas First, Cathay Biz/First, Sydney, Melbourne, Gold Coast, and Hong Kong
- How I found and booked 2 Qantas First Class Tickets
- How I landed Qantas + Cathay Biz/First to/from Australia – $40k in value
- How I used Alaska Miles to bake in a stopover in a Hong Kong
- Review: Qantas First Class Lounge LAX
- Review: Qantas First Class LAX-MEL
- Review: Qantas Business Class Lounge Melbourne
- Review: Qantas Business Class A330 Melbourne to Sydney
- Intercontinental Sydney
- How to spend 2 awesome nights in Melbourne
- Review: Qualia – Hamilton Island
- Review: Palm Bungalows – Hamilton Island
- Why you should add Hamilton Island to your Australia adventure
- What it’s like taking a helicopter to the Great Barrier Reef
- Review: Sofitel Gold Coast
- Review: Qantas Business Class Lounge Brisbane
- Review: Cathay Pacific Business Class A350 Brisbane to Hong Kong
- Review: Cathay Pacific Arrivals Lounge Hong Kong
- Review: Grand Hyatt Hong Kong 1 bedroom Suite
- What it’s like being a Hyatt VIP with Prive
- Review: Cathay Pacific The Pier
- Review: Cathay Pacific The Wing
- Review: Cathay Pacific The Bridge
- Review: Cathay Pacific First Class Hong Kong to Los Angeles
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers
A Monkey Miles favorite for beginners and point pros alike because it earns unlimited 1.5x Ultimate Rewards with no annual fee.
♥ Earn 20k Bonus Points or $200 after $500 Spend in 3 months
♥5x on travel purchased via Chase Travel
♥3x on dining and drugstores
♥1.5x on all purchases, unlimited