We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Monkey Miles is also a Senior Advisor to Bilt Rewards Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Virgin Atlantic’s new A330 Neo
WOW! I personally think British Airways has the best business class between the US and Europe, but Virgin Atlantic just debuted a drop dead gorgeous A330neo that I aims to take the crown ( Air France has a new product coming up in September as well ). Virgin is the epitome of cool. Their lounge at Heathrow is incredible, and they’ve committed to opening up more award space. This new A330neo offers a stunning, all suite, fully enclosed, upper class that I THINK solves the biggest problem I had with their A350s ( storage ). Virgin takes delivery of 3 aircraft in September, and it’s expected to take off in early October out of Boston. The remaining deliveries will be between 2023 and 2026.
The normal Upper Class seats may beat BA head’s up. But…the coolest aspect of this debut? The Retreat Suites at the front. Holy moly they look incredible and give me JetBlue new Mint Studio vibes meets Qatar’s Qsuites. They can be opened up so 4 people can dine together at once. Holy smokes this is another level for biz.
I just wonder if this will be available via points. With Jetblue you could redeem with points and then pay a surcharge to select the studios…I’m eager to see how this plays with Retreat Suites.
- 2 Retreat Suite
- 6’7″ beds, ottomans, 4 people can dine together
- 27in tvs
- 30 Upper Class Suites
- fully enclosed with doors
- 17.3 in tv
It’s hard to tell from the specs, but it looks like there is storage under the dining table + a cabinet that closes with a latch. This is my biggest complaint with the A350 Upper Class. The seat is great, the IFE is great, the service is great, but there isn’t a single place to really store your stuff. This…looks amazing.
- 46 seats
- 38″ pitch with a calf rest
- 13.3″ touch screen with bluetooth
- Wireless charging pad
Virgin operates a few east coast daytime flights… I would snag one of these and be happy as a clam under 7 hours. If I don’t need to sleep, this is effectively a better version of the first class recliner with Virgin service.
- 13.3 in IFE
- Blue tooth audio + use phone as a controller for the entertainment system
- AC, USB, and storage
- 28 Econ delight offers 34″ seat pitch,
- 156 econ classic seats with 31″ pitch
Overall: I have plans to go to Europe later this year and depending on avail, I will route through Boston to try this out. Looks super cool
Affiliate link via Card Ratings
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great starter card that earns Premium Ultimate Rewards that can be transferred into over a dozen partners many of which are US based.
60k Points after $4k spend in 3 months
Transferrable Chase Ultimate Rewards
If you carry this card alongside Chase’s cashback cards like the Chase Freedom Flex℠and Chase Freedom Unlimited® or the business versions: Ink Business Cash , Ink Business Unlimited you can combine the points into Preferred account and transfer into hotel and airline partners
Annual fee is quite low at $95 a year + you get a 10% anniversary bonus on points + $50 hotel credit in Chase travel.
- 3x on dining
- including eligible delivery services for takeout
- 3x on select streaming services
- 3x on online grocery purchases
- (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
- 5x on all travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards – Chase Travel Portal
- $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards/Chase Travel
- The begins immediately for new cardmembers and after your account anniversary for existing cardmembers
- 10% Anniversary Bonus
- Every year you keep the card, your total spend will yield a 10% points bonus. If you spend $10k in a year, you’ll get 1k bonus points
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® continues to redeem at 1.25c in the Chase Travel Portal and the slew of other benefits remain in tact including primary rental car insurance, purchase protections, etc.
- Points are transferrable to 13 Ultimate Rewards partners
- Redeem in the Chase Travel center for 1.25 cents per point
- No foreign transaction fees
- Suite of Travel and Purchase Coverage
- Primary rental car coverage is my favorite
We keep an up to date spreadsheet that lists the best ever offers: You can find that spreadsheet here.
Historically 80k is a very, very good offer and hit in both 2022 and 2023. In 2021, we saw the offer hit an all time high of 100k. Who knows if that will ever come back.
Cards that earn flexible points and should be used on the bulk of your purchases.
Cards that earn fixed points in the currency of the airline/hotel and can not be transferred at attractive rates. These cards yield benefits that make it worth keeping, but not necessarily worth putting a lot of your everyday spend on.