We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
Where you’ve probably done this before
All passengers arriving into the United States must clear immigration and customs on their first port of entry. If that first port of entry isn’t your final stop, you’ve probably utilized the transfer desk. For instance, if you’ve flown from London to New York on American Airlines, and then continued on to Chicago, you had to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs, and then go to a transfer desk where you leave your bags for your next flight to Chicago.
If you’re on the same airline, or a partner that interlines, this was more than likely explained to you at check-in.
I’m not talking about these instances which are routine and fairly straight forward. I’m talking about instances whereby the airlines you’re flying don’t know about each other and you need to connect.
A couple of examples of where you may need to utilize this tip
- you’ve booked two separate award tickets and need to recheck a bag, etc
- you booked via a consolidator that sold you a ticket with two airlines that have no partnership
- Another tip is to look at each airlines baggage policies…consolidators will often package airlines that allow checked bags, but because they don’t have an interline agreement, will market these flights as fly without baggage. This isn’t true, you just need to collect you bags prior to customs and recheck-in with your next airline.
My Situation and how I couldn’t have made my connection withoutq the transfer desk.
I needed to fly from Paris to Indianapolis. On a single program the points prices were outrageous, so I wanted to pair award programs.
- I spent 55k Air France flying Blue to fly business from CDG to IAD
- Another 8k Aviance Lifemiles to fly United from IAD to IND.
What was I thinking?! A 45 minute connection involving immigration and terminal changes. Parental discretion advised 😉
Utilize the transfer Desk.
I made it with a minute to board
Europe 2019 New Years: Rome, Budapest, Vienna, London, and Paris
- Review: Iberia Business Class Chicago to Madrid
- Review: Iberia Business Class Lounge Madrid
- Review: VIP Lounge Plaza Mayor Madrid
- Review: Iberia Business Class Madrid to Rome
- Review: St Regis Rome
- Review: Alitalia Economy Rome to Budapest
- Review: New York Palace Budapest, Autograph Collection
- Tip for visiting the Thermal baths in Budapest
- Don’t make this European train mistake like I did
- Review: Park Hyatt Vienna
- Review: Air Lounge Vienna Airport
- Review: British Airways Business Class Vienna to London
- Review: Kimpton London Fitzroy
- Tips before flying Flybe
- Review: Intercontinental Le Grand Paris
- Review: Air France Business Class Lounge CDG
- Review: Air France Business Class 777-300ER Paris to Washington D.C.
- How I utilized the transfer desk to make a tight international connection
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers
****ALL TIME HIGH 100k OFFER!****
A Monkey Miles favorite for beginners and point pros alike – a staple of our wallet that earns Premium transferrable Ultimate Rewards. $95 annual fee
♥ Earn 100k Bonus Points after $4k Spend in 3 months
♥Points are transferrable to over dozen partners, or redeemable for 1.25c in Chase travel
♥5x on travel purchased via Chase Travel and 2x everywhere else (beginning 8/16/21)
♥3x on dining, including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out (previously 2x – beginning 8/16/21)
♥3x on select streaming (beginning 8/16/21)
♥ 3x points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs -(beginning 8/16/21)
♥ $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased via Ultimate Rewards. *New cardmembers can get this credit immediately – existing cardmembers get it after anniversary (beginning 8/16/21)
♥ 10% Anniversary Point Bonus. Spend $10k in a year, get 1k bonus points. (beginning 8/16/21)