We may receive a commission when you use our links. Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. We appreciate you using our links!!!
A lot of money is on the table
Every month certain Amex cards have credits that expire, and if you’re like me, a reminder is helpful so you don’t waste them. Each month I send out an update, but January has had an onslaught of new statement credits, bonus categories, and we’re here to drop you a little reminder.
This month also saw the refresh of all the semi-annual credits across multiple cards, and that means that those Amex statement credits add up to several hundred dollars. Here’s a quick little guide to make sure you are aware of all the Amex statement credits you can use.
American Express Platinum
Every month Amex has an Uber credit of $15 ( $35 in December ) and these can be used for Uber Eats as well. However…Amex Platinum also comes with an annual $100 Saks 5th Avenue credit that is broken into two $50 credits. One is from January to June, the other from July to December ( that’s expiring end of month ).
Earlier in the January we saw Amex add in some useful credits for cardmembers who have held their card prior to 11/1/2020 including PayPal as well as multiple Amex Offers.
- $15 Uber Credit expiring 01/31/21 and will refresh at $15 on 2/1/21
- $50 Saks 5th Credit is active for 1/1/21 to 6/30/21 period
- $30 PayPal monthly Credit is active through 6/30/21 ( For cardmembers who have had the card prior to 11/1/2020 )
- String of Amex Offers ( For cardmembers who have had the card prior to 11/1/2020 )
- Avis Car Rental – Spend $250+ on eligible purchases, Get $75 back, up to 2x
- BestBuy.com – Spend $50+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to 2x
- Goldbelly – Spend $100+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to 3x
- Home Chef – Spend $50+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to 3x
- HomeDepot.com – Spend $50+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to 2x
- Instacart – Spend $250+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to 2x
- Samsung – Spend $1,000+ on eligible purchases, Get $200 back, 1x
- Scribd – Spend $9.99+ on eligible purchases, Get $9.99 back, up to 5x
- The Container Store – Spend $150+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to 2x
- Virtual Personal Training by Equinox – Spend $780+ on eligible purchases, Get $130 back, up to 5x
- Wine Insiders – Spend $30+ on eligible purchases, Get $30 back, up to 2x
- $200 Airline Incidental Credit Refreshed in January and is good through 2021
- make sure you have chosen your airline by the end of the month
American Express Gold
Every single month Amex Gold has a dining credit of $10, this month is no different. I’ve had success in the past buying gift cards to use in the future, but the only catch is using them at valid places: Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations
- $10 at restaurants listed above
- $100 Airline incidental credit has refreshed
- Keep an eye out for $10 Uber credits coming soon
American Express Business Platinum
The American Express Business Platinum offers a $200 annual Dell credit which is split into 2 separate, semi-annual $100 credits. The first is now active and expires at the end of June, 2021. Make sure you’re utilizing these credits, and if you’re unsure on what to buy – check out how we use it.
There is also an annual $200 Airline Incidental Credit which is active – if you’d like to change your airline you need to do so by the end of January. Also note that multiple 5x categories have been added for certain cardholders.
- $100 Dell credit refreshed and expires 6/30/21
- String of 5x categories ( For cardmembers who have had the card prior to 11/1/2020 )
- Office Supplies
- $200 Airline Incidental Credit has refreshed.
American Express Green
American Express Green is a Chase Sapphire Reserve killer in my opinion, and has 2 annual statement credits for Clear and Lounge Buddy that have both refreshed.
- $100 Clear credit has refreshed
- $100 Lounge Buddy credits have refreshed.
American Express Aspire
This is one heavy hitting hotel card from Amex and comes with a $250 resort credit. Since many aren’t able to travel to resorts, and many resorts are closed, Amex has improved the benefit. Starting this month, you can use this $250 credit for restaurant…so not ending, but rather started in June and ends at the end of August.
- $250 resort credit refreshes each cardmember year
- Can be used at Hilton Resorts on incidentals, food, and even has been shown to offset room charges
- $250 Airline incidental credit has refreshed
- Keep an eye out for your Free Weekend Night to repopulate after you account renewal
Monkey Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Monkey Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers
A Monkey Miles favorite for beginners and point pros alike because it earns unlimited 1.5x Ultimate Rewards with no annual fee.
♥ Earn 20k Bonus Points or $200 after $500 Spend in 3 months
♥5x on travel purchased via Chase Travel
♥3x on dining and drugstores
♥1.5x on all purchases, unlimited